Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Does marathon reading count?

Because I spent a good part of the weekend reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and the new Bujold fantasy (Sharing Knife: Legacy), of the 2 the Bujold was by far the more satisfying. Rowlings just doesn't seem to make me care about her characters *shrug*.

Saturday morning was taken up with our first training session with the Huscarls, they were very welcoming and much fun was had, especially by the kids who ran around like mad things beating each other up with rubber swords. We joined up officially and plan on getting involved in all the stuff they do...so now we need authentic dark ages costumes, including shoes :P

I regained some (1.5kg) of the big loss from last week, but not all of it! So I'm ok with that. Let's see what I can do this week now that I'm no longer able to use being sick as an excuse ;-)

Time to get the middle child off to her tap and jazz lessons and then get the boys to do their homework and reading while I do some serious cooking. We're having homemade pizza tonight and I'm cooking up a big batch of vegetable and barley soup as well - healthy comfort food! mmmmmm :)

3 comments:

Ariane said...

!!!Potential spoiler if you are intending to read HP and haven't!!!!

I don't know, it seems I cared about Dobby... I had very low expectations and it exceeded them. But I did find myself just getting annoyed at some of the deaths rather than actually upset...

Em said...

I have heard a lot of negatives surrounding this book......shame really....... good luck with this week i still find im not my usual self and i hate winter

mimbles said...

Actually, both Hedwig and Dobby rated a twinge of caring, but the rest - not so much. Didn't want to put that in the post as I was sticking to spoiler-free so soon after the release ;-) I was pleasantly surprised to find it much more readable than the previous 2, tighter and better paced, so I'm with you on the exceeding of low expectations too.