Sunday, June 05, 2011

Sundays in My City

Unknown Mami

My blog has moved! You can find this post and all its comments at my new place.

Today was a beautiful crisp cool day with brilliant blue skies, perfect for going along to a rally in support of placing a price on carbon pollution. Apparently quite a few other people thought the same, which makes me feel a little better about not being able to go.

We'd have been there in a heart-beat if we could but it was not to be. Tom's school had their band camp this weekend and we therefore had a concert to attend at 1pm and a child to collect and bring home afterwards, so no climate change action rally for us.

Adam and I left the two older kids at home and had a nice quiet drive out to the camp site. The 3 bands all played very well and Tom seems to have had a good time so that was nice.

None of which do I have any photos of to share.

However, when we arrived home and I got out of the car I found myself nose to nose with one of my most favourite things in the world. A praying mantis.

Praying mantis

Wanting to see if I could get a better angle and background, I picked her (I think) up, whereupon she immediately walked up my forearm.

Praying mantis

In this shot she's looking at the dog, who was bouncing around wanting to know what on earth I was doing standing in the garden taking photos of my own arm and hand.

Praying mantis

Back up to my elbow.

Praying mantis

On my hand, lunging for the camera.

Praying mantis

Time to say goodbye.

Praying mantis

And here she is back in the tree.

Praying mantis

Don't forget to pop over to Unknown Mami's place to check out all the other Sundays in My City posts!

17 comments:

BLOGitse said...

What a charming creature!
Have a relaxing Sunday!

Samantha said...

They are such fantastic shots!!! I love them too.

mimbles said...

They're such awesome insects, I love the way they focus on your face and seem really aware of you as another thinking creature.

Keetha Broyles said...

Great shots!

Walking sticks and leaves are also favorites.

Sonya said...

Oh my goodness,wat a cutie!! love your shots and I love your wedding ring!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for beautiful sunny days.
I love preying mantis but never seem to have a camera of any sort around when I come across one, great captures.

Tara R. said...

What a wonderful capture. She (?) was a very cooperative model.

Unknown said...

I LOVE these shots. God's creation is so amazing. Hopefully you can go to the next one : )

Unknown Mami said...

Love the cute little face shots.

This is Unknown Mami. I'm having a hard time commenting.

carol anne said...

She's beautiful. I'd never have the nerve to pick her up. I wish that I could find it in me but I'm terrified of bugs. Seriously, what great photos.

Unknown said...

Your pictures are incredible. Enjoy your Sunday!

brainella said...

Nifty pictures. My mother won a prize at the state fair for a picture of a praying mantis. Such odd, interesting bugs. :)

Rebecca said...

I don't think she was looking at the dog, I bet she was eying up your ring. She's a smart praying mantis!

And band camp! I loved band camp with all my heart when I was in high school! Absolutely amazing memories!

Penny said...

Tim loves mantids :)

urban muser said...

that praying mantis is so cool. i was terrified of them as a child :)

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

What wonderful creatures they are, love that it stuck with you for so many photos. They really are wonderful.

cat said...

Oh I love them.