Thursday, February 11, 2010

Good things

It was a little scary how much of this I ate before thinking "Hmmm, that might be enough."


They're from the lovely Juliette who I know through the kids' school and who occasionally comments here, she decided to spoil me with real flowers instead of virtual ones after reading my recent posts. Thank you so very much Juliette, they made my day and I've been enjoying sitting here on the lounge with that gorgeous display visible over the top of my laptop screen all week :-) Almost all the blooms are open now and they're lasting beautifully.

Today's lunch with my Dad - rockmelon, proscuitto, haloumi, tomato, token baby spinach and turkish bread

Lunch with my Dad

I went along with Dad to see his psychiatrist today and had a quite reassuring chat about what the family can contribute to looking after Dad and helping him to get well and so on. Apparently we hadn't done too badly on figuring out the right things to do - everything we'd come up with got the nod from the doctor. We then went and grabbed a few groceries and headed back to my place for lunch. I discovered Dad had never had haloumi cheese, an omission that could not be permitted to stand. "It's a bit more-ish," he said. "Isn't it just!" said I.

15 comments:

Deborah said...

Next time you're making that lunch, can I come too?

Splock said...

You do realise there's a Dalek hiding behind those flowers?

mimbles said...

It's all right, R2-D2 has the situation under control.

sim said...

so, um, I've never had haloumi cheese either ;)

mimbles said...

@sim - Well then, you'd better come over for lunch some time!

@Deborah - You're totally invited too, but I'm not sure the trip would be worth it :-)

Malyn said...

greek style haloumi - lightly crumbed (seasoned flour), shallow fry till brown (just like you've done I think)...and then, squeeze some lemon on before serving...divine!

mimbles said...

I don't bother with the flour but, yes, lemon juice definitely.

Anonymous said...

You should have kept eating the chocolate and peanut butter. *enables*

And that lunch looks soooo yummeh!

cat said...

Oh the lunch looks great! Those stargazer lillies are just gorgeous.

mimbles said...

@ausmerican - That's just it! I did keep eating it, I started with that whole block of chocolate and then suddenly there were only 2 squares left! Adam did eat a couple though...

@cat - Is that what the flowers are called? *has a gardener for a reason* :-)

Anonymous said...

Mim - these are all 'great' things not just good. I love haloumi cheese, and I haven't had it for several years now. Too much mozzarella on offer here! The flowers are gorgeous too.

Hi from Ruth! said...

OK, now I want to come over for lunch - that looks delicious!!

Just yesterday, I bought myself the exact same Lindt chocolate bar...but it never occurred to me to put peanut butter on it - ingenious. GOod thing I still have most of the bar left...I'm suddenly getting hungry for it!

Ruth

Malyn said...

mim, bother with the flour next time; it adds texture and that's important in food, too.

that luxurious copy of Reese's (choc and peanut butter) is so wicked and still debating whether it's worth a go. Hmmm, we actually have individual Lindt squares .....

Penthe said...

Also the flour makes it spit less in the pan or griller, which reduces the likelihood of burning down the house in the pursuit of salty goodness.

Am thinking of trying Lindt and haloumi.

Claudya Martinez said...

I've never had haloumi cheese. Now I'm curious.