Friday, April 30, 2010

Friday Fragments & Link-fest No. 16

Mommy's Idea
Hosted by Mrs4444.

A few fragmented bits of the week just gone, go visit Mrs4444 for more!

****

It got cold enough during the week for Jack to want cuddles, but none of this sitting on laps business for him! Just under the chin is his preferred perch. In between me and my laptop.

Being sat on and purred at has a somewhat soporific effect. It also tests one's touch typing skills.

Jack getting comfy

****

We went to Lithgow Ironfest on the weekend

Lithgow Ironfest 2010

We set up our tent, complete with authentic Viking dog, Tom and I did some weaving, the kids all did some wood carving (and all cut themselves), we watched the equestrian skill at arms and jousting displays, we talked to people and pretended we were relaxing in the sun as the wind encouraged out tent to become airborne. Then, just as the day was finishing up and we were getting ready to break camp and head for home, huge black clouds rolled in and dumped wet stuff all over us. So we packed up a wet tent, in the rain, and off home we went.

Ironfest is lots of fun, especially if you're one of the people doing Napoleonic reenactment, they get to play with things that go BOOM! Fortunately it turns out Clara isn't bothered by either gun or cannon fire.

****

I managed to remember how to do Viking wire weaving and was going to take a photo of the piece I'm currently working on, only I've somehow misplaced it between putting it on the coffee table next to my laptop at the start of the evening and reaching for it to photograph about 2 hours later. Either my brain has fallen out or one of the kids has hidden my Viking necklace in the making. Anyway, here's a photo of the first bit of wire weaving I did back when I learned 6 months ago.

Viking wire weaving


ETA: Aha! Found the missing wire weaving - it was down the side of the lounge cushion that I didn't lift and check under three times. You know, as opposed to all the cushions I did do that with.

Viking wire weaving in progress


****

And now, links to lure you off into the labyrinth that is the internet. Be sure to tie your piece of thread securely to the entrance and don't forget to be back in time for dinner!

24 comments:

Hi from Ruth! said...

OK, I see that you posted this in the wee hours of Friday morning but it's still not even noon on Thursday here in Canada; reading your Friday Fragments on Thursday was a bit of a funny moment for me!

Love the cat photo - isn't it just like a cat to want to be in the spot that makes it most difficult to get something done! My cat sleeps on top of me most nights, and whenever I try to move she grumbles and moans and pushes at me! Cats...gotta love 'em.

Ruth

mimbles said...

I live in the future don't you know? ;-)

Penny said...

Ahhh love the cat photo... kinda miss that sorta lovin' they give.
The wire weaving is very cool :)
I'd love to see a joust... wonder if anyone does stuff like that around here.

yodaobi said...

LOVE the wire weaving! I miss cat snuggles but not as much as I LOOOVE the freedom of having no pets.
@Penny... The last Joust thingy was down in Taupo I think...

Katherine said...

Viking Dog.. I LOVE IT!!! Funny, the cat got in my lap earlier and I wasn't able to get to my keyboard. But that is nothing compared to the "chin sit!" My dalmatian isn't allowed on the "people" couch so she doesn't snuggle up like that... she has her own couch! :) Spoiled? ha ha! But she DOES actually give hugs which is so funny. I will be sitting and she will come up and take one leg and wrap it over me somehow and push into me, hugging.

That wire weaving is NEAT!

Adrienne said...

The festival looks fun Happy Friday =) Thanks for sharing pics with us!

Mrs4444 said...

Bonfire, huh? Good thing Mr.4444 is allergic to perfume!

IronFest sounds really fun. I'd like to find one near us some time, so that I can hopefully find someone who knows how to fix the elk-handled knife of Mr.4444's that I ruined (cutting an ice cream cake :)

Your jewelry is awesome! Very impressive.

cat said...

Your weaving is amazing. Wow!

4 Lettre Words said...

The wire weaving is amazing!! Wow!

My boys would LOVE that festival.

Have a fantastic weekend!

clew said...

That's one big kitty! :))

The festival looks fun - and the wire weaving is really cool!!! I'd love to learn.

I too want to know what Bonfire smells like. I ber it's sexy.

Friday frag visit! Have a great weekend xoxo

clew said...

*ber = bet. sorry :/

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the test of your typing skills! LOL!

How talented are you?! Great job! Very interesting and looks like it takes a bunch of patience...

Happy FF!!

mimbles said...

You're all way too kind, thank you :-)

The wire weaving is pretty cool, it's quite a simple technique to use once you know how it works and it's actually fairly quick too.

brainella said...

That wire weaving is really cool. :) How long does it take to make a necklace like that? The Ironfest looks a lot like our Renaissance Festivals here. We love going; it's so much fun. Happy weekend!

Stacy said...

Ironfest looks like a lot of fun! I had to laugh about where the wire weaving turned up...I think half of everything we own turns up under the cushions eventually.

Carolee Hollenback said...

That wire weaving is super-neat!

Found you at Friday Fragments.

Have a great weekend!

Jene said...

I'm very impressed with your wire weaving skills! I wish I had a cool talent like that :)

Great cat. Mine is most definitely a lap cat.

Icy BC said...

Looks like a fun event to attend! And I love your jewelry piece. That's amazing.

Cleo said...

That cat is H-U-G-E!!!
Gorgeous necklace!
Ever heard of etsy.com? Bet you could make a killin' on there with pieces such as that.
Just dropping in via Fragment Fridays. :)

Claudya Martinez said...

Your wire weaving is amazing!

mimbles said...

@brainella It was probably not much more than an hour to do that finished piece but it's a bit short for a necklace.

@Ace That's why I was looking under cushions in the first place! Just not the right one :-)

I'm feeling very flattered by all the enthusiam for the weaving :-) I've been thinking about doing a blog giveaway, perhaps I should offer a wire woven necklace as one of the prizes!

@Cleo Yep, I've had an Etsy shop for a couple of years and I did sell a few things through it but I was terrible at being organised enough to list stuff on there regularly. It's a lot easier listing things here on my blog and I'm really rather lazy ;-) I might go back to Etsy one day, we'll see.

Darci said...

Oh man, and I thought my kitty was getting big! Your's is a beaut, What breed is Jack?

mimbles said...

He's one quarter Ragdoll, the rest is garden variety DSH moggy. He is kind of ginormous, his sister from the same litter isn't nearly as big.

Melani said...

I love the pic of you and your cat! I have a cat and she is about 14 yrs old, I will be so sad when she dies...

The festival looks awesome! Sorry you guys got rained out!

THe wire weaving is incredible! Such talent!