Monday, February 04, 2008

12 things to do this year

Adam and I have been talking recently about making plans and setting goals so I thought I'd post some of the things I'd like to achieve this year. I'll update as I go with how it all works out.

1. Go bushwalking in the Blue Mountains 3 times. (But perhaps not the Grand Staircase!)
2. Swim laps at a public pool 2 times each month. (The kids love going to the indoor pool at Homebush so winter is no excuse)
3. Go bike riding around the Western Plains Zoo.
4. Cook something new for dinner once a month. Feb - veal casserole, Mar - Steak and kidney, and lots more too, this worked really well I've cooked heaps of new dishes and even invented some of my own recipes over the year (but mostly forgot to blog about them).
5. Get plans for an extension to the house drawn up and council approved.
6. Go bowling once a fortnight. (Either with the kids or on my own) Feb - 24th, Mar - 9th
7. Sell some of my handmade jewellery. First sale of 2 necklaces made on 4/3/08
8. Join the local archery club. Signed up for the beginner's course.
9. Go and see a play that's not Shakespeare. (Which isn't to say we won't go and see some Shakespeare too)
10. Go camping with the Huscarls. (I really don't want to do this but we'll see...) Well, I tried. I wanted to enjoy it but, um, not so much. Second attempt on the other hand was awesome!
11. Learn to make my own glass beads. - Started lampwork course 14/2/08
12. Post a review of every book I read on my blog. (Don't expect too much here, they'll probably be very short reviews because I'm terrible at articulating what I do or don't like about books) - Yeah, ok, this is so not happening. I'm going to just list them all instead with short comments.
Feb/March
The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold
Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold
The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold
Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold
Ethan of Athos by Lois McMaster Bujold
Brothers in Arms by Lois McMaster Bujold
Borders of Infinity by Lois McMaster Bujold
Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold
Komarr by Lois McMaster Bujold
A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold
Diplomatic Immunity by Lois McMaster Bujold
If Only They Could Talk by James Herriot
The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton
Aaaaand apparently I got bored with the listing them idea too, suffice to say I read lots :P

10 comments:

Di said...

sounds great mim!
i think i'll do something similar - but for the moment I just can't see past Wednesday!

Ariane said...

Impressive goals, but also actually achievable. Wow.

The only goal I have set myself is for 5 out of 10 trips to and from school will be walked each week - which has got off to an great start this week with the rain. Was the drought really that bad?

Unknown said...

I live in the Blue Mountains. I'm lucky enough to use the walking tracks a few times a month. There is a nice little 20 minute track at the end of my road (though I don't think it will be quite far enough soon, my fitness is improving).
Where do you think you could make glass bead? That sounds very interesting.

mimbles said...

We live right near both Lane Cove National Park and Berowra Valley Regional Park so there are plenty of bushwalks nice and close by us too. My mum and I take the kids on a short one every so often.

I actually have no idea what bead making entails but I do know people do it, so it's just a matter of finding out! Adam reckons there might be someone in the Huscarls who'll know a bit about it.

Shrinking Tardie said...

What wonderful goals. Might have to look at doing something similar myself.

Nat

Anonymous said...

It's looking like a good list.

My list of ambitions for the year is simpler:

1. Organise wedding
2. Actually get married
3. Not freak out during 1+2
4. Do some sort of postgrad course in second half of year. With the aim of eventually getting OUT of the lab and into a nice cushy desk job.

:P

Ariane said...

Linda (as in Ed and) may also be able to help you on the bead making, seeing as thought she makes things with glass, or are you thinking ceramic?

ZuckerBaby said...

The Sydney Community College runs glass beadmaking classes regularly. I'm sure that the extended community colleges out your way would probably have something similar.

http://www.sydneycommunitycollege.com.au/course/arje8

Yay for achievable goals!!

mimbles said...

Awesome! See, I don't even need to do my own research :D

Tracey said...

Ooh, let me know how the archery goes. We have a local club in Laverton, Vic, and I keep thinking I should join. Like to do fencing as well, but maybe one thing at a time.