Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ask and ye shall receive - more or less

I woke up this morning at about 3:00am with an absolutely torturous sinus headache, took some sudafed and proceeded to toss and turn for nearly an hour listening to Adam snore. So when the alarm went off a few hours later I was still somewhat worse for wear.

Adam got the kids up, dressed, fed and off to school and I rang the doctor, made an appointment for 3:45pm and went back to dozing.

Sometime mid-morning I realised I could breathe...and my sinuses were beginning to clear...and I was hungry.

Hmm, what should I ask the universe for today?

I got up, showered and dressed, and then had to sit down and recover from the shakes - a couple of days in bed and the aftermath of fever and I can't even make it up and down the stairs in the house without turning into a quivering mess.

Anyway, I decided not to waste the day, made myself some lunch, hopped in the car and went to Infinitas, I've only been trying to get there for about a month. Came away with Alastair Reynolds' The Prefect, Greg Egan's Incandescence, Elizabeth Moon's Victory Conditions, Lois McMaster Bujold's The Sharing Knife: Passage, Terry Pratchett's The Discworld Graphic Novels - The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic, Lawrence Watt-Evans' The Turtle Moves and Secrets of the Wee Free Men and Discworld by Carrie Pyykkonen and Linda Washington and last but not least a tentative job offer.

I'll be going in next week to see if it'll work out or not for them and for me, the guy who owns the shop is a high-school friend of my brother-in-law so it's all pretty informal and "let's just see how it goes". Also, if someone else comes along who can be as flexible as I can with regards to doing more or less hours as needed and doesn't have to bugger off to pick up kids from school then the deal will probably be off. But in the meanwhile, working in a Sci-fi/Fantasy bookshop, well, it's only my dream retail job isn't it?

Adam seems not so very excited about this though, I suspect that rather than anticipating an extra income, he foresees being required to build new bookshelves.

(The doctor gave me antibiotics for the sinus thing so with any luck I'll be back to normal by the weekend.)

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Congratulations on the job! It sounds like fun.

yodaobi said...

OMG! I totally wouldn't be able to work there! I'd end up spending more money
te hee
I just discovered Stephen King's Dark tower series was continued in comic book form. And there are like THOUSANDS more I want.
I'm just sticking to Angel after the Fall, Buffy season 8 and Spike (when I get it)
sigh....
OK Maybe the Dark tower series too..

Ariane said...

So what job will you be getting to fund the Infinitas job? :)

Very glad to hear you're on the mend. Who says "The Secret" is a whole pile of pseudo scientific rubbish?