Sunday, July 27, 2008

Getting to know you

Eve tagged me for this one.

What were you doing ten years ago?

I was pregnant with Caitlin. I was at home with 15 month old David and aside from going horse riding with friends every 2nd week (yep, I rode till about 6 months with my first 2 pregnancies, we'd given up by the time Tom came along), I didn't have much contact with anyone outside family. I'd become quite friendly with my next door neighbour, who was pregnant with twins and due about a month after me, which was nice. Adam had just started working at a new job (I know this only because he just had his 10 year anniversary with the company). Hmmm, you know, I can't really think of anything terribly interesting to say about me minus 10 years...moving right along!

Five things on my to do list
  1. Laundry - always
  2. Clean out the fridges - there's things growing in there (and yes, we have 2)
  3. Put anti-flea stuff on the cats
  4. Cull and tidy the kids' bookshelf in the loungeroom - Tom's reading has just taken off lately and I want to make sure he can find all the really cool stuff.
  5. Organise a P&C executive meeting in the next week or so. All I have to do is look at a calendar and send out an email, I should have done it 2 weeks ago.
What snacks do you like

Beef jerky. All time best snack ever. There's plenty of other things I like snacking on but this comes at the top of the list by a country mile. Sadly the local Woolworths doesn't stock the one I like any more. Perhaps I'll have to learn to make my own.

What would you do if you were a billionaire

Pay someone to declutter my house.
Move out and rent a place near-by while we extend and renovate.
Get involved in funding microfinance programs. Not that you have to wait to be a billionaire in order to do that. (Note to self: do some research and donate some money to one of these types of programs.)

Three bad habits
  1. Staying up too late at night and then being tired the next day
  2. Procrastinating (because I'm too tired :P)
  3. Swearing too much (you'd never know it from my writing, but you can tell from my kids' vocabulary - oops)
Five places you have lived
  1. Westleigh, Sydney, Australia
  2. Paris, France
  3. Boulder, Colorado
  4. North Ryde, Sydney, Australia
  5. Marsfield, Sydney, Australia
Yep, I had to break it down into suburbs in order to make it to five. Also, anything that's not Sydney was to do with my Dad's travel for post doc and sabbatical placements, my entire adult life I've lived in northern Sydney.

Five jobs I've had
  1. Babysitter and remover of frogs from the pool for the next door neighbour.
  2. Checkout chick at Franklins back in the days when you turned up at the local supermarket and asked if they had any jobs going, filled in a form and got given a job, no resume, no interview.
  3. Sales assistant at a books and stationery shop answering the question "Where are the newspapers?" with "We are not a newsagency" at least a dozen times a day.
  4. Worked for my father-in-law in his pawnbroking business at Parramatta, spent all my money at Infinitas.
  5. Maker of phone calls and writer of emails at a magazine publishing company - after doing 4 half-days in 2 weeks, they haven't asked me back, but I'm assured it's not that I did anything wrong, they just don't have a desk or computer free for me to use. (Yeah, that was this job.)
How did you name your blog

I was prompted to start my blog by seeing blogs of other people who were using them to track their progress on Weight Watchers but I intended right from the start for it to have a much broader focus, in fact I figured I'd be writing about pretty much anything that took my fancy. I have an unfortunate fondness for alliteration and the first title that came to mind was Mim's Meanderings, but my good friend ZB was already using meanderings, besides, Mim's Muddle seemed kind of apt.

I'm averse to tagging (it's all too fraught and there's descision making involved) so once again, if you haven't done it before and you've nothing better to do, post away!

2 comments:

Eve said...

It always surprises me when I read these how much people have in common.

I used to do a lot of riding, and breaking horses.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what tagging is but because my sister Eve tagged me and you too it has led me to your blog for which I am grateful!