Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Chicken and pumpkin risotto

I have cooked risotto once before but if I remember rightly I didn't have half the things I needed and between that, trying to keep it kid-friendly and trying to short cut the standing around stirring thing it just ended up being a total flop, no-one wanted to eat it.

When I was doing the menu plan for this week I thought "stuff the kids, I'm cooking this for me" and, because doing anything as simple as following instructions in a book is just boring, my first successful risotto is in fact my own recipe.

Chicken and pumpkin risotto

500g butternut pumpkin, diced
olive oil spray
rosemary
sea salt
1.5L chicken stock
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
50g butter
500g chicken breast fillet, diced
1 white onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 1/2 cups arborio rice
2 cups firmly packed baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup shaved Parmesan
1 tablespoon lemon juice

  1. Spread the diced pumpkin on a baking tray lined with baking paper, spray with oil and sprinkle lightly with rosemary and salt. Bake at 220°C until tender.

  2. Heat the stock and wine in a saucepan and keep it at a low simmer.

  3. Heat the oil and butter in a large non-stick pan, add the chicken and cook until lightly browned. Remove the chicken from the pan.

  4. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until soft and golden. Stir in the rice until well coated.

  5. Add the stock 1/2 cup at a time stirring constantly over a medium heat, each time waiting until all the liquid is absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup. It should take about 20 minutes to do this. Taste test the rice, if it's still a little on the firm side add hot water in small amounts and continue stirring until the rice is cooked through.

  6. Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the baby spinach, lemon juice and Parmesan and cook for a few minutes more. Add the cooked pumpkin and fold through gently. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
I'm quite pleased with how this turned out, 'twas yum! My dad was at my place for dinner, but Adam was away, so there were 5 of us eating. David and Caitlin were not impressed, Tom asked for seconds. There's quite a bit left still, I reckon this recipe would serve 6 adults pretty easily.

4 comments:

hyperion79 said...

Hmmmm that photo and recipe made me hungry Mim! Must admit, i've never been a fan of risotto, as mum's was always horribly gluggy, and the few i've tried in restaurants always seemed really oily.

Might have to give your recipe a crack...

aussiehen said...

Yummy!
I've never made pumpkin risotto but I do love risotto unfortunately DH not so much.
The first time I made it for him he thought he was getting Rice Risotto that horrible packet stuff and was very concern at how sloppy it was.

We both just commented here http://buggydoo.blogspot.com/2008/07/first-times-free-next-time-we-make-you.html#links the interweb is a small small place.

mimbles said...

Hyper, I think there is a certain unavoidable glug factor to risotto though it shouldn't be too gluggy. And oily is right out - ugh!

Great minds think alike AH! Or at any rate they read the same stuff :)

ZuckerBaby said...

Nice work, Mim!!

I love risotto, which is why I curse that I'm not sodding allowed to eat arborio rice any more ARGH!! I make it with risoni now, instead.

Risotto's great, because there are just so many things you can do with it. A great one is lemon parsley risotto, which I serve with seared tofu, but would be great with chicken or fish. Or the eggplant and kalamata olive risotto topped with rocket.... *daydreams about creamy risotto goodness*