When I was doing the menu plan for this week I thought "stuff the kids, I'm cooking this for me" and, because doing anything as simple as following instructions in a book is just boring, my first successful risotto is in fact my own recipe.
500g butternut pumpkin, diced
olive oil spray
1.5L chicken stock
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
500g chicken breast fillet, diced
1 white onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 1/2 cups arborio rice
2 cups firmly packed baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup shaved Parmesan
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Spread the diced pumpkin on a baking tray lined with baking paper, spray with oil and sprinkle lightly with rosemary and salt. Bake at 220°C until tender.
- Heat the stock and wine in a saucepan and keep it at a low simmer.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large non-stick pan, add the chicken and cook until lightly browned. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until soft and golden. Stir in the rice until well coated.
- Add the stock 1/2 cup at a time stirring constantly over a medium heat, each time waiting until all the liquid is absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup. It should take about 20 minutes to do this. Taste test the rice, if it's still a little on the firm side add hot water in small amounts and continue stirring until the rice is cooked through.
- Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the baby spinach, lemon juice and Parmesan and cook for a few minutes more. Add the cooked pumpkin and fold through gently. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.