Sunday, February 01, 2009

Seventeen years

In September of 1988, one month shy of my 18th birthday I went to a party I had not been invited to. My best mate's girlfriend had been invited so we figured that was close enough. I knew a fair few of the people there, well, their faces and names at any rate, they were people who had been 2 years ahead of me at high school. It was a pretty good party, we danced and were silly and there may have been some booze involved (ok, there was definitely half a bottle of vodka involved but SHHH don't tell my mum!*). My parents were away on holiday for the weekend, I don't remember why I didn't go with them, I didn't have a job or anything, maybe I was supposed to be studying for the HSC? Anyway, at the end of the night my friends and I were heading back to my place to continue festivities and, um, I took this guy home with me (it's ok Mum - NOTHING HAPPENED!). Except here we are twenty years later and I still haven't got rid of him.

Three and a bit years later we got married.

Yesterday we abandoned the kids with my mum (or perhaps abandoned my mum with the kids?) and took ourselves off into the city for a bit of celebratory eating, theatre going and...er...sleeping, yep, that's what hotel rooms are for you know.

We had dinner at East Chinese Restaurant at Circular Quay then popped over to Portobello Cafe for coffee and tiramasu before wandering down to the Opera House to see The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged). We were a little early for the show so we sat on one of the benches looking over the harbour and watched the sun set.

The show was brilliant and hysterically funny. Adam and I had seen it before but neither of us remembered it very clearly and it has a significant element of improvisation and topical references, I'd go again in a heartbeat, in fact we're thinking if the opportunity arises we'll take the kids next time too. Nothing quite like laughing so hard it brings tears to the eyes, good for the soul that is.

On the way back to the hotel (we were staying overnight at the InterContinental) we picked up some chocolates from the Guylian Cafe, there's still half of them left for tonight, I'm hiding them from the kids.

This morning we were not woken by a dog's tail wagging with great force against the bookshelves beside our bed, or by a small boy climbing onto our bed and talking non-stop to said dog, or by the sound of children fighting. Instead we woke of our own accord - AT 6:15AM! Well, I did anyway, Adam was snoring gently still. I managed to drift off again till about 7:45am and then took another 45 minutes to actually get out of bed. We had breakfast at the buffet and then headed for home.

Happy wedding anniversary Adam. Thank you for a lovely evening and for 17 years of putting up with me. You're my best friend, a wonderful hubby and terrific dad, I love you.

*I know, this will be the day she finally remembers to check that link I sent her *waves* Hi Mum!

15 comments:

Penthe said...

Well, big congratulations to you both. Nice weekend of celebrations.

Anonymous said...

I always sleep well on hotel beds. No idea why.... Congratulations to you both. I'm looking forward to celebrating our 16th in about a month's time. Yours reminds me a bit of the 10th anniversary celebrations i just read about on 168hrs.blogspot.com - sounds like January's a good time to celebrate a wedding anniversary in Sydney.

PS hope you're happy with this year's teachers :).

Ariane said...

Very pleasant evening indeed. I am pretty keen to see that. I should organise myself better.

I've got 5 nights of hotel rooms next week, but it's not quite so appealing when you're on your own. Not unappealing, but not as appealing. :)

Eternal Lizdom said...

Sounds like a wonderful celebration!! Happy Anniversary!

Joanie said...

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Penny said...

Happy anniversary!!!

Louise said...

Big congrats from me as well on your anniversary. I wanted to drop by here and say hello and post a comment I also posted at myself, just in case it got buried before you saw it:

Thanks for your comment Mim. I take it, that you are back from vacation by now :o)

We feel a bit connected to Tasmania these days, as our Crown Princess is from there ;o) Not that I am overly interested in royal stuff though.

I hope you will swing by Europe some day. If you come to Copenhagen, Denmark, I shall be happy to show you both Viking ruins and interesting Egyptology stuff :-) You husband can check www.glyptoteket.com, which is the website for the museum where I used to work. They have an exquisite Egyptian collection.

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary, Mim! It sounds like you had a lovely time. I'm so glad.

Mel said...

Bliss! And congrats. Isn't it a good feeling to know you chose the right bloke?

Boozy Tooth said...

Congrats you two. Awesome story. I thought we were going to hear about an unplanned pregnancy or drug raid, and then you go throwing the cuteness curve at everyone.

But seriously, what a wonderful tribute to your husband and to your marriage. I love happy marriage stories.

Shrinking Tardie said...

I am soooo jealous! When Frog and I were in Sydney we saw a brochure for the complete works (abridged) and so desperately wanted to go.

Maybe next time.

Happy anniversary to you and Adam - we're up for the big 20 years this December!

Love Nat

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary, Mim, and Adam too, of course!

Love the story of how you met. Very sweet :)

Anonymous said...

Now that is the best anniversary story ever. I thought I was getting ready to hear about you being arrested or something, too!

 Aphie said...

Belated congratulations, Mim and Adam. :)

Deborah said...

That's just gorgeous that you married your "childhood" sweetheart. Congratulations!

We've just chalked up 19 years of wedded bliss. Not my childhood sweetheart, but the first man I ever loved (c/f bonked), and we are still together.