Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Snippets from the first week back at school

In the morning on the day the kids were placed in their classes David was pale-faced and anxious, dreading getting the deputy principal as his teacher. This very likely result did indeed eventuate which was not at all surprising as I had had conversations with the teachers at the end of last year in which we agreed that Mr M (who is a lovely person and, from what I've heard, a great teacher) would be the best option for Dave this year. David mock scowls at me, knowing I've had a hand in his fate.

When I came to pick them up Caitlin was in tears because her best friend is not in her class, but very happy about her teacher for the year. We promise many play-dates to compensate for this cruel separation. With any luck Caitlin will broaden her circle of friends, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is what the staff had in mind when they formed the classes.

Tom, thrilled to be back at school, was entirely content with his teacher but assured me none of his friends are in his class. In fact he can't remember any of the people in his class. Further investigation reveals that he has exaggerated just a bit, and anyway Tom's happy to play with anyone really. He's in a composite class, years 1 and 2. Great, he's already twice the size of half his year and now he's in a class with a bunch of even younger kids. I worry that his self-consciousness about his size might be exacerbated by this situation, I hope my worry is unfounded.

Yesterday as we left the school our lovely librarian was on crossing duty. For some reason she had with her a new book which she had been showing to Tom's class in library that afternoon. Tom had started to tell me all about it as soon as he came out of class and, spotting the book in her hand, brazenly asks to borrow it. The book hasn't even been processed into the library yet, it has no plastic cover, no stickers and no label identifying it as property of the school. So of course she says yes to him. Apparently it's something about his enthusiasm for reading and books, makes him irresistible to librarians.

This morning when it comes to sandwich making time I discovered we had run out of bread. Fabulous, one week in and I'm failing school parent 101. Luckily there was a loaf of raisin bread in the freezer, fruit bread sandwiches all round!

This afternoon saw Caitlin's first ever loss of a hat. You'd have thought her world was coming to an end. When I saw the look on her face as she came out of class I thought something truly hideous had happened and braced myself for damage control. When she confessed the terrible tale of the missing hat I'm afraid all I felt was an enormous irritation that something so trivial was causing so much angst. Perhaps I'd feel differently if my kids were prone to losing stuff but I don't think any of them have ever lost anything at school, at home yes, all the time, but not while at school. I know kids who lose hats and jackets on at least a monthly basis, sometimes weekly!

I'm on Canteen duty tomorrow. What's the bet I can't remember the price on a single thing we sell?

12 comments:

Ariane said...

The drama and the magic. :) I hope it all unfolds smoothly.

Our quote of the back to school experience - "We did work today but it was easy - preschool work - I went back TWO YEARS!!!!"

Eternal Lizdom said...

I feel so bad for Caitlin! It sounds like a stressful day for her overall...

Joanie said...

Raisin bread sandwiches, yum!

Poor Caitlin! Maybe the hat will turn up today.

Shrinking Tardie said...

Sounds like a full on couple of days! We'd never experienced the "sit around and wait for the names of your class members to be called" event before this year - seeing as we'd hoped for Em to stay with 2 of her friends we found it all a bit anxiety producing! In the end she did end up with them which is nice.

Bummer about the hat. I'm still miffed that Em's full pencil case has gone walkabout and have since found evidence that it was perhaps liberated from her bag rather than lost as such. Sigh.

Good luck with the rest of Parenting 101 for the week!

Love N

Penny said...

I confess to being peeved at Tim losing his cap not long after I forked out $10.00 for it. (It's a uniform regulated one). Fortunately it turned up again.

As for Tom getting the book... what can I say? We try not to have favourites but it's not easy when faced with the challenge of Tom-like folks.

Mel said...

Despite the difference in ages our kids are similar. My Miss 13 has only once ever lost a clothing item at school and it was a huge drama. And my Mr 8 bedazzles the school librarian for some reason and she lets him get out more than 2 books (the limit) and saves new issues for him. Strange - they say men are attracted to librarians. Perhaps when they're older. Hmm.....

Sandra said...

Certainly sounds like things are fun on for you. :)

Aw, I really feel for Caitlin too!

It seems to be the norm here in NZ (our school does this too)now, that they put the class lists up for the kids to see a couple of weeks before the end of the year, so the kids know exactly who their teacher will be, and who will be in their class the following year - no surprises on the first day back.

Sandra said...

Sorry, that was a typo - eek. Full on - it should have read.

Anonymous said...

I've only had one First Day of School as a mother, and I'm already nervous for all the hundreds to come.

How is David liking Mr. M? The "pale-faced and anxious" description tugged at my heart.

suze2000 said...

Ahh school. I loved school as a child. There were always social ups and downs - kids are often capricious - but I loved the learning and books.

I was in a split class one year, so I feel for Tom. Mind you I was on the younger end of it, but still... My biggest concern on reading that is that Tom will be bored because grade 1 is a steep learning curve with letters and writing to learn - he'll have to sit through it a second time. Unless the curriculum's changed since I was at school, that is. I hope this is not the case, anyway.

Boozy Tooth said...

I have three words for you: LOST AND FOUND. Maybe the school has a box that the hat will materialize in? Have Caitlin check it out.

By the way... my youngest, Adrian, will be graduating High School this spring. I will be thrilled to be out of the regular school loop even though college is a huge expense. However, each time Adrian came home from the first day of school lamenting that she had none of her friends in class, I was secretly happy for her. It indeed broadeded her circle of friends and she had an easier time actually concentrating on her school work. Which is the point, right?

Good luck to all you kiddos. Enjoy the peace and quiet, Mim.

PS: How did those fruit bread sandwiches go over??

Tracey said...

Hope the hat turns up, and then Caitlin may realise that she was worried for nothing.

Re David and his teacher -- I remember dreading one of the Grade 6 teachers at our school. She had a fearsome personality, and we were all shit-scared of her. I so wanted not to get her as a teacher, and of course I did. And after the first week or so where we all got used to her, she was fantastic. The most memorable of my primary school teachers, the only one I cried for at the end of school. I hope his experience is as great as mine was!