Sunday, August 08, 2010

Sundays in my City

Unknown Mami
Hosted by Unknown Mami

After our busy furniture rearranging day yesterday we took it easy this morning and ended up having breakfast at about 11am. Dave and I went and did the grocery shopping while Adam, Tom and Caitlin baked choc chip cookies and brownies. Then after lunch (which we ate at 3:30pm) we put the Anglo Saxon style leg of lamb in the oven to slow cook and headed over to my Mum's place for a walk.

My Aunty Liz and Uncle Rob and my Dad had been at Mum's for lunch so altogether there were 10 of us (if you count the dog) wandering the neighbourhood.

Late afternoon sun

Clara was keen to get moving, my arm is a good inch longer than before we went I'm sure.

Clara

Sulphur-crested cockatoo

Sulphur-crested cockatoo

Kookaburra

Kookaburra

Me getting left behind because I keep stopping to take photos

I seem to be getting left behind

Wattle in bloom

Wattle in bloom

Adam taking a photo of me taking a photo of him...

Adam taking a photo of me taking a photo

I gave him the good camera, and nearly all the shots I'm using have come from my phone.

Oh look, there's me!

The woman behind the camera

Here's what we'd come off-road to see. It's the pig face tree. One of my kids named it that years ago, I think it was David.

David, Clara, Mum and Aunty Liz

Checking out the "pig face tree"

Can you see how the tree got its name? There's a very definite snout shape under that lower branch.

David and a Clara blur

David and a blurry Clara

Clearly a pig.

Snout

The view from the pig face tree rock - Elouera Bushland Reserve

Elouera Bushland Reserve

There's been a few bushfires through here over the years, my Mum was talking this afternoon about being involved with a community fire group - apparently you need to either have a swimming pool yourself to do so, or a neighbour with a pool, that can be used as a water source if/when the mains pressure drops off during a bushfire. I gather the next door neighbour is being co-opted into that role.

Burnt tree trunk in the afternoon light.

Burnt tree trunk in the afternoon light

Caitlin and Clara.

Caitlin and Clara

Walking along Duneba Drive.

Walking along Duneba Drive

Mum and Liz.

My Mum and her twin sister Liz

Wearing matching jackets and earrings (though you can't really see Liz's earrings). I guess it's a twin thing.

The kids and dog beat us back to Mum's by long enough for Dave to be engrossed in his game by the time we caught up.

The house I grew up in.

The house I grew up in

The bedroom I grew up in.

My bedroom at my Mum's place

With the bed I slept in. And the doona cover I slept under. Almost 19 years later and nothing has changed! The bed is now used by grandchildren sleeping over. When David was little and we were first leaving him with my Mum for the night he was quite taken with sleeping in my bed.

For more fabulous Sundays in my City posts head on over to Unknown Mami's place see what everyone else has on show.

P.S. No decluttering pics today, I gave myself the day off.

15 comments:

Deborah said...

I've been enjoying your decluttering posts, but I love the change of pace in this one. I felt as though I was on that walk with you.

Leslie said...

Thanks for the Tour ~ The walk was fun and refreshing. What a fun family outing!
I love the pig face tree. I can't imagine seeing cookatoo's flying in the wild.
Have a great week

Multiple personalities.. said...

What a beautiful way to spend time with your family. And I'm really loving that pig face tree. Thanks for sharing Sunday in your city!

urban muser said...

looks like a lovely day, thanks for sharing. we don't have any wild kookaburra where i live!

Killara girl said...

oh nostalgia. I miss walking in the aussie bush. i really don't like the vegetation here..even though it's beautiful. it must be nice to have family nearby.

thanks for the flickr idea...i forgot i could do that...now i need a flickr acct...they changed that too...you used to be able to upload unlimited 20mb per month...but now it's 200 photos period. i actually wonder how long google will only charge $5 for their storage...something tells me that will go up one day.

yes we do have to go thru a toll to get out to the costal beaches, some are exclusive and some charge up to $25 for entry...even the ones around town...nothings free here in America...i don't know why they say it's a free country...i guess they just believe what they're told (no offense)

Claudya Martinez said...

Love the pig tree.

This is a sweet post. It was just nice to see you all enjoying each others company on a nice stroll.

You phone takes good pictures.

suze2000 said...

Pity the weather has been so cold. Looks like a lovely spot for a family picnic too. :)

ChristineM said...

What a lovely walk! I love the pig-nosed tree! That is priceless!

Candy said...

This looks like so much fun! What a treat to see cockatoos and kookaburras in the wild! (Is that the correct plural for "kookaburra"?) The pig face tree is great. I loved taking a walk with you and your family. Thank you.

Erin said...

That is so fun for your son to sleep in the same bed as you did!
What a beautiful walk!

Anonymous said...

What a great day you all had Mim - thanks for sharing.

BLOGitse said...

Thanks for this tour with you and your family!
It's facinating how twins look and wear the same :)
SIMC greetings from Casa,
have a good week ahead!

Maria said...

Lovely post. Your Sunday was well spent...

Joanna Jenkins said...

The "doctored" pig tree is a hoot-- or should I say snoot ;-)
Thanks for taking us along on your walk. It looks like the whole gang hand fun.
Happy SIMC, jj

cat said...

Oh your mom is a twin! Looks like a nice walk.