Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Token effort

I kept falling asleep on the lounge with my laptop on my knee last night as I tried to slog my way through the stuff that needed to be done by this morning. I ended up going to bed for real at 4:30am after doing about 4 hours actual work and experiencing several unsatisfactory involuntary naps.

When I got up at 7:00am I was, as one might imagine, a little worse for wear. I then went to work for 4.5 hours (and finished the stuff that was urgently needed and had appreciative things said to me by my boss), came home and collapsed on the lounge for a while, levered myself back up (with a little help) to do the kid-taxiing run and then resumed lounge occupation when Adam came home to my rescue.

A little while later I once again hauled myself upright and went wandering the house, camera in hand, muttering "What can I do that won't take very long?"

The front hallway seemed a pretty good candidate:

The usual state of the front hall

A fish tank maintenance bucket, 2 cat carry cages, Adam's backpack, and several bags of Viking clothing later:

That's better

We've been stepping over the cat cages for 2 weeks. How stupid is that? All I had to do was take them downstairs and stack them in their spot in the laundry.

3 comments:

Hi from Ruth! said...

It always amazes me, too, how the tasks that I've been procrastinating the longest are often the easiest to get done...and then I wonder why on earth I haven't done them??!! You'd think we'd learn!

You sound exhausted, Mim. I hope you are sleeping right now and getting some well-deserved rest.

Take care.

Ruth

Deborah said...

Hmmm.... I've been shifting some new light fittings from one end of the dining table to the other for a couple of weeks now, depending on which end I need to use. Tonight (SNAP!) I finally shifted them to a space in the hallway where they can wait without being in the way at all until the electrician comes in.

So simple, but somehow I have been too tired until now to do anything about it.

cat said...

Sounds just like me!