Sunday, November 14, 2010

Saying goodbye

On Saturday evening I had a phone call from my mum. She was ringing to tell me my grandma had just died. Mum had arrived to visit Grandma at the nursing home at about 5:30pm and had been unable to wake her. By 7:30pm Grandma was gone.

The night before Mum and Dad had spent some time with Grandma, she'd been very sleepy and had trouble talking but was able to appreciate the visit. On Saturday morning the nurses say she managed to drink a little for breakfast and again for lunch, then she drifted into unconsciousness and didn't wake again.

We weren't expecting her to go quite this quickly, the staff had been talking in terms of a few days. I'm glad for her though, she'd had enough and she was in pain and suffering. This peaceful end was what she wanted.

I went to join Mum at the nursing home, my brother came too, and we said our goodbyes. Then Martin and I came back to Mum's place with her and sat and talked for a while.

We won't be having a 100th birthday party next Saturday, instead, a little earlier in the week, we will celebrate the life of a very special woman, daughter, sister, wife, mother, great grandmother, friend, traveller, good cook, scrabble player extraordinaire and voracious reader, my much loved Grandma.

My boys with Great Grandma

Gladys Whitfield
b.20 Nov 1910 - d.13 Nov 2010

15 comments:

Di said...

Very teary at the moment. Big *hugs* to you and the family.

Lisa66 said...

Oh, Mim, I am sad for your family's loss. I am glad to hear that your grandmother passed so peacefully, though. I know it's cliched but the memories you have of her will bring enormous comfort to you. Hope your mum is doing OK.

Ariane said...

*Huge hugs* I'm sorry you've lost her, but glad to hear she went peacefully. We'll be thinking of you this week.

Toni said...

Oh Mim I'm so sorry for your loss. Call me if I can help with anything.

((((((hugs)))))

Deborah said...

A time of loss and sadness, but mixed with thankfulness for a life well lived. And a time of transition for you and your family. I'll be thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Huge hugs ((((hugs))))

good bye is never easy, on either side. I hope her journey now is as wonderful as her journey through life was.

Bri said...

So sorry for your loss. She was obviously a wonderful lady that inspired you greatly. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Cam said...

Hey Mim, lovely post. She'll most certainly be missed. Hugs, and see you on Tuesday afternoon. xo

Eternal Lizdom said...

Oh, Mim. What a roller coaster of events - thinking she won't make it to planning that party and now this... But you're right- it will be a celebration of her life!!

Joanie said...

My condolence, Mim. Your grandmother sounds like a special lady. That's a wonderful picture with your kids. She certainly didn't look like she was nearing her centennial!

hugs.

Joanne Olivieri said...

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. She was well loved and will live within your hearts forever.

Candy said...

Dear Mim, I'm very sorry about your grandma. My condolences to you, your mom and the rest of your family.

Penny said...

{Hugs} I'm sorry Mim. I'm glad it was peaceful and that your Mum was there.

suze2000 said...

I don't know what to say, except I'm so very sorry. But such a long full life needs to be celebrated and I hope you give her a lovely send-off. *hugs*

Chally said...

Oh, Mim. Lots of sympathy. I'll also be thinking of your grandma, you, and your family.